Wednesday, July 20, 2011

a nomad soul is never lost

i've always had this crazy nomad sense of direction and never understood how some people always get lost, unable to find their way around their own neighborhoods let alone a foreign city. i dislike using maps and navigation systems and love the idea of just getting in the car and driving down a new, undiscovered road. want to see me at my most excited, with a wide eyed sense of wonder and joy?  just drop me in a foreign town and ask me to find a delicious local bakery or museum or shoe shop or deserted beach. the possibilities and discoveries around every right (never wrong) turn are to me, the best part of the trip.
matt gross writes a series of articles called "getting lost" for the new york times travel section and here is my favorite of that series, published last september, about the joy of losing ones way (and it turn finding it) in tangier, morocco. 
the travel bug continues to bite. 
*photos courtesy of the new york times.

No comments:

Post a Comment